The center of the Milky Way galaxy, with The supermassive black hole Sagittarius A–at center–is revealed in this image. Astronomers have used NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory to take a major step in understanding why gas around this object is extraordinarily faint in X-rays. Click the image to learn more.
You might also like:
- Ghostly gamma-ray beams blast from Milky Way’s center
- Black hole growth found to be out of synch
- Chandra X-ray Observatory shows Milky Way is surrounded by halo of hot gas
- X-ray flares observed by Chandra are asteroids being torn to pieces in a black hole
- Chandra X-ray Observatory turns up black hole bonanza in galaxy next door