Animal keeper Karen Abbott holds one of the National Zoological Park’s twin 8-week-old Andean bear cubs during its first veterinary exam. The cubs received a clean bill of health Feb. 20 from Zoo veterinarians during a complete physical exam on Feb. 20. The cubs, which appear to be male and female and were born Dec. 14, also received the first of a series of routine vaccines.
- New Acquisition: Seven lion cubs born recently at the National Zoo
- Five cheetah cubs born at Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
- Two Andean bear cubs born Dec. 13 at National Zoo
- Clouded leopard cubs born at National Zoo’s Front Royal campus on Valentine’s Day
- Lion cub summer school: Instead of learning their ABCs, the National Zoo’s lion cubs are learning behaviors that will help animal care staff evaluate their health.