Scops mc callii, or the Western Mottled Owl, a color plate from The Birds of North America, the descriptions of species based chiefly on the collections of the Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, 1860 by Spencer Fullerton Baird, second secretary of the Smithsonian. From the collections of Smithsonian Libraries.
You might also like:
- ‘Science at the Smithsonian’ gallery: 165 years of scientific achievement
- New Acquisition: With 1844 first edition, Smithsonian Libraries completes its collection of Charles Darwin’s three-volume geology series
- National Park Service natural history collections transferred to care of the Smithsonian
- Smithsonian anthropologist William Fitzhugh speaks about Edward Nelson’s 1877-1881 Western Alaskan Expedition
- New “cloud-based” storage initiative to make vertebrate research collections available worldwide